This site uses cookies own and third. If you continue to browse consider to accept the use of cookies. OK More Info.
Grants access to the special sections

Mod DB sections

Recent

-no title-

Author Topic: Battletech review  (Read 689 times)

Nomada_Firefox

• Administrator
  • Clone Commander

Battletech review
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »
Hi, I have played the game few minutes ago and it is interesting but a bit poor. In the first place the introduction video have not a miserable voice describing anything, only texts. It's a shame for something not badly done in terms of drawings. It is not an animation it is more a succession of comic-type pages.

Another detail that Spanish speakers will notice, probable with other languages, it has a lot of texts but it is not translated. Everything in English and although I spend my life on the internet around this language, my website is entirely in English, I find it a negative point, very negative, probably I am used to Slitherine games that are translated.

Therefore in those two points the game is very poor.

Graphics? It's a game clearly from Unity3D and the games on this engine look good. Specifically this game looks like paper, it is a bit curious. There are scenes that use a third-person camera put behind the mech, close to the mech that you do not know if what you see is 3D or 2D. It's very weird. The textures are perhaps very pastry, with colors farther from the real but I think in general better than good.

The Mechs? if they are standing they look great. If they shoot ........ I do not like the colors of the weapons because everything is as pastel as the rest, just like fire. But there is another curious thing, you will see this in the first mission of the campaign, the mech you use, when it runs, it seems to fatten its ass, I think it may be a failure to do the animation or something similar, we will have to see what happens with other mech but it seems that when they are moving their dimensions make them look more as like a living being than a machine.

As for combat, gameplay in general, I have not played too much yet, I'll tell you later. In case anyone is interested, I've played it on an i5 4690k, 16GB DDR3 and a beautiful GTX 1060 6GB, so I played it to the maximum detail in 1920x1080, with 2x antialising, 4x anisotropic and with Fast Sync activated. These are my default options in the Nvidia panel. No jerks, no lag, or anything like that. As expected.

Regarding the turns. I think it's appropriate. Although I did not dislike the old system of MechCommander that ironically seem better at first sight than this Battletech ...... who would think and say this ........ maybe nobody remembers those games but I have them very recent, although the gameplay was bad, they were difficult to play.

Finally for the moment. Forget about mods, especially complex mods, it's a Unity3D game and the copyright of the engine does not allow it. A negative point, I had not been following the game and I was expecting something done with the engine of the Paradox games, when I saw the message of Unity3D at the beginning it got shock. But hey, I guess with the amount of additional time on mod issues that I go to dedicate to the Close Combat Bloody First when it comes out, I'll have more than enough to entertain myself;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buenas, he jugado el juego hace unos minutos y aunque interesante es un poco pobre. En primer lugar y todos los que lo proveis lo veis, el video de introducción no tiene ni una misera voz describiendo nada, solo textos. Es una lastima para algo no mal hecho en cuanto a dibujos. No es una animación es más una sucesión de paginas tipo comic.

Otro detalle que notaran los castellano parlantes, tiene un monton de textos pero no esta traducido. Todo en ingles y aunque yo paso la vida en internet entorno a este idioma, hasta mi web esta entera en ingles, lo encuentro un punto negativo, muy negativo, estare acostumbrado a juegos de Slitherine que si estan traducidos.

Por ello en esos dos puntos es muy pobre el juego.

Graficos? es un juego claramente de Unity3D y los juegos de este motor lucen bien. En concreto en este lucen como de papel, es un poco curioso, hay escenas que usan una camara en tercera persona como detras, cerquita del mech que no sabes si lo que ves es 3D o 2D. Es muy raro. Las texturas son quizas muy pasteleras, con unos colores más lejanos de lo real pero creo que en general mejor que buenos.

¿Los Mech? si estan parados lucen muy bien. Si disparan........no me gusta los colores de las armas porque es tan pastel todo como lo demas, igual que el fuego. Pero hay otra cosa curiosa, lo vereis en la primera misión de la campaña, el mech que usas al correr parece que le engorda el culo, yo creo que puede tratarse de un fallo al hacer la animación o algo parecido, habra que ver que pasa con otros mech pero parece que al moverse las dimensiones los hacen parecer más un ser vivo que una maquina.

En cuanto al combate, gameplay en general no he llegado a eso aún, ya os dire más tarde. Por si alguien le interesa, lo he juego en un i5 4690k, 16GB DDR3 y una bella GTX 1060 6GB, asi que lo he jugado al maximo de detalle en 1920x1080, con antialising 2x, anisotropico 4x y con el Fast Sync activado. Vamos las cosas por defecto que tengo puestas en el panel de Nvidia. Ni tirones, ni lag, ni nada parecido. Como era de esperar.

Respecto a los turnos. Me parece apropiado. Aunque no me disgustaba el sistema antiguo de los MechCommander que ironicamente parecen mejor a simple vista que este Battletech......quien lo iba a pensar y decir........quizas ya nadie se acuerda de esos juegos pero yo los tengo muy recientes, aunque el gameplay era malo, eran dificiles de jugar.

Por ultimo de momento. Olvidense de mods, sobre todo mods complejos, es un juego de Unity3D y el copyright del motor no los permite. Un punto negativo, yo no habia venido siguiendo el juego y esperaba algo hecho con el motor de los juegos de Paradox, cuando he visto el mensaje de Unity3D al principio me ha dado un poco de bajon. Pero bueno, supongo que con la cantidad de tiempo adicional en temas de mods que dedique al Close Combat Bloody First cuando salga, tendre más que suficiente para entretenerme.;)

I took the images from the strategygamer review, I will make my own video and images later. https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/battletech/

I will not answer by private message, nothing which I can answer in the forum.
---------------------------------------------------
No respondere por mensaje privado nada que pueda responder en el foro.

Nomada_Firefox

• Administrator
  • Clone Commander

Re: Battletech review
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
Time to play some different, Battletech is a game released few time ago, successor from the older Mech Commander games but this time, it is not a game at RTS, it is a Turns Game, very similar at concept to the Battlestar Galactica Deadlock. Both games share beautiful graphics with a turns action.

The game is not very intuitive but it is not difficult, you can see how I lose a lot of time searching things. It is a bit more complex than I like. However, I always liked Mech Commander games and I could not resist to play it at these days where I prefer lose my huge free time modding games than playing. However, sometimes I play some games, different games than EAW, it is good for to discover new ideas and features. ;)

About strategy and this new Battletech game. At my opinion the turns add strategy but if you do not know the game at 100%, you can see how it adds less strategy than a RTS. Why? at first place, you can not avoid the enemy missiles, you receive all the impacts. You can not make the easy and fast tactics from a RTS.

At the end, turn games need a deeper learning curve and rts no but after many time, probably you like more the turn game.

Nomada_Firefox

• Administrator
  • Clone Commander

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »
Another video from this funny game. I enjoy it even if when more I play, more I think how the game system is not very strategic, specially because it is not as BSG Deadlock where you make your movements and you see the action. In the BSGD, you can make a movement with fire in the enemy. Here you move and fire. It is a bit sad. But not too bad, I enjoy it.

What more is bad? sounds. By a unknown reason, I do not know if it is a matter from my computer or what.....but there is a strange sound repeating all times, it is as a noise. Perhaps a problem with the HDD where the game is installed.........I have more games installed and it is a new HDD. I believe how it is part from the engine sound and it can be heared more where I am in the starship headquarters. I do not like it. I go to try reduce it the next time that I play.

However the sounds are not very good, they could be a lot better. I have a soundblaster Z and 5.1 sound system. When a game has better sounds, it is amazing. But here no.

Graphics. Terrain is poor. Objects as trees, buildings and more are  good but the terrain is bad. It is in the same level of texture than the older game Mech Commander 2. A lot older game.

Performance. You could see in the first video how I play at highest detail, but the performance is not very good. At my opinion, the game is a bit bad depurated and it is constant in the Unity3D proyects, by one reason, there are more bad performance games with this engine than in other engine.

Gameplay, the game shows many times stupid things, clicks which they are not accepted as they be, ignore orders, you can see in this battle how my Blackjack, a piece of shit of mech because it carries mostly lasers, I tried several times move and the game made as if I had given a no-movement order. A piece of shit, it could not be a problem with the mouse........it is a new Logitech G603, a very good Wireless gaming mouse.

But well, I could play with these problems and end my game, fortunately these missions are easy. But I suppose how I will get better units when I play more difficult missions. I want change the Blackjack, piece of shit........

Nomada_Firefox

• Administrator
  • Clone Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
Problems with balance, you do not want lose all your day playing but you do not want a very easy and simple game. This is my solution, create a weapon 4 times more powerful, a PPC and I added a small easy mod which it reduces the damage from some weapons. With this I can enjoy the game continuing the campaign without lose my mech each battle and I advance my learning from the game without lose many time.

Thanks to the gods, it was possible. I liked the game but in the mission where I recovered the Argo (the ship) and the next missions, the game increased the difficult a lot and it was not fun for me. It needed probably a game slower, loosing more, trying more times the same battles and at the end, more time for me and I have not this. I wanted some easy but the game has not difficult levels, it has missions more difficult than others but some of them are difficult and you need complete them if you want advance in the story.

Is it a cheat? clearly yes, but a small cheat because the PPC modified is in only two mech and I can choose avoid to us it. In fact probably I make it from a different way adding the normal PPC and other different which I can disable in the easier missions where I can get more experience playing without lose my team. Have fun.