This site uses cookies own and third. If you continue to browse consider to accept the use of cookies. OK More Info.
Grants access to the special sections

Mod DB sections

Recent

-no title-

Author Topic: Better cheap gaming computer  (Read 58 times)

Nomada_Firefox

• Administrator
  • Clone Commander

Better cheap gaming computer
« on: November 23, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Perhaps no or perhaps yes, you have a old socket 775 computer in your hands with a old E or Q processor. If you have one, you can mount a most better computer with a curious mod.

10 years ago the Xenon CPU from Intel (sever CPU) were created for a socket named LGA 771. This socket was very similar to the 775 and modifying the CPU adding some marks and a sticker in a track, you could add a Xenon in a socket 775. Obviously 10 years ago, it was not a good idea because Xenon had a cost of $1000. These CPU were very expensive and very good. But now, you can buy a Xenon x5460 at aliexpress by less of 20€, by example it https://es.aliexpress.com/item/XEON-x5460-CPU-3-16GHz-12MB-1333MHz-LGA775-Processor-Close-to-Core-2-Quad-q9650-works/32364946363.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3d8f63c021fMP2

These Xenon are modified and you do not need any change. Why a x5460 instead from a x5470 by example? because the x5460 has multipliers and you can overclock it easily. Depending from your mainboard and your ram memory, you can get a better frequency with it.

However, before you add one of these sockets, you must update your bios mainboard with the neccesary microcodes. In this chinese web site you can find the neccesary bios for most of the socket 775 main boards http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771/

I have two socket 775 computers and the two running with a Xenon x5460. My story about them is how I had a old Q6600 overclocked to 3ghz in my secondary computer and I discovered one day how these modified CPU could be bought and mount easily. I was thinking replace this computer by a cheap Ryzen but the Xenon was cheaper, the first bought by my cost 14€. My secondary computer had these specs before I updated:

Mainboard Asus P5Q SE2
Schyte Ninja heatsink, it is important if you want make OC.
RAM Mushkin DDR2 800, 8GB at four different blocks, 2x2GB from a old Mushkin Enhanced and 2x2GB from other Mushkin Enhaced
Graphics Card Gigabyte GTX660 2GB
Soundblaster Fatal1Ty
SSD Samsung 840 120GB
SSD Kingston A400 240GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Sharkoon USB3.0 PCI adapter with a two ports frontal adapter.
PSU Tacens Valeo V, it can be considered a bad trademarkt but it was not the cheaper when I bought this. It is a semi-pasive PSU.
All mounted in a beautiful Zalman Z9 Neo case,
Logitech Wireless Mouse M280
Logitech K120 keyboard
Philips 22" Brillance

The first x5460 which I bought, by unknown reasons, I could make a OC from only 3.43Ghz, the stock speed from the Xenon x5460 is 3.16Ghz. Next because I had a old Asrock g41c-gs mainboard mounted with 4GB ram, a older E7400 and a GTX 460 1GB, I bought other. Because I tried my first x5460 in this other computer, I mounted the second x5460 in my secondary computer, the one with the Asus P5Q SE2, what was my surprise when I discovered how I could make a better and higher OC with it. Each CPU can be different, not all run equal even being from the same type. This second Xenon x5460 is running now at 3.72Ghz . It is not the maximun, but perhaps with these components, it is the best without blue error windows ;) . Other people with other ram and specially main boards can up them to 4ghz or 4.2. With these higher speed, this computer is faster than several older i5 and i7 or FX.

With my components, I can get this https://valid.x86.fr/fqeqxa , it can look as not too much comparing to other validation data for this CPU. Ignore the temperature data, most of the programs and mainboard can not detect the correct data, only realtemp if you add a 85 TJ max in the settings can detect the correct temperature, this CPU is in my computer running at idle between 30º and 40º C.
The biggest good point from this CPU, it is the cache, 12MB L2 is better than many CPU and running games as EAW Steam, it is very good. At my opinion, it runs equal or even better than my i5-4690k https://valid.x86.fr/8s38am , I am sure how if I had have this CPU in my hands more of three years ago, I had not bought the i5.:)

And now the biggest crazy data. With the black friday, I could buy a new cheaper Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 3GB for it. Perhaps you say.......a GTX 1050Ti had been better. But the main point is how between the 1050Ti and the 1060, there are a very very big amount of performance. The 1050Ti is a fraud for its price. I payed 199€ by the new GTX 1060 and I could test before the same model from 6GB in the computer, I test it even without overclock in the xenon and the result was very good. The CPU can handle it. Perhaps with some very modern games you can get lower frame rates than with a more modern CPU but the point is for what I want this computer. For my strategy games and some other game, it is very good. Even I can run the 1060 with the fast sync, highest detail giving a very good performance for a 12 years old computer, yes only the mainboard and ram have 12 years.;) Anyway for my games and modding is perfect, everything running at Windows 10 Pro 64bits.

I will publish videos running games one day, when I discover how record the sound correctly with shadowplay.;)

Now if you have a old socket 775 computer, perhaps you can upgrade it.
I will not answer by private message, nothing which I can answer in the forum.
---------------------------------------------------
No respondere por mensaje privado nada que pueda responder en el foro.

Nomada_Firefox

• Administrator
  • Clone Commander

Xenon x5460 OC 3.72Ghz GTX 1060 3GB - Playing the FOC Alliance Rebellion
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:12:22 PM »
This is a example about how I have given new life to my old Asus P5Q SE2 mainboard, a old socket 775 where I have mounted a x5460 bought at aliexpress by only 14€ modified for this socket.

The x5460 is an server CPU released at 2008 with a price of $1245. It was very fast for its time and it continues being very good because it lets a high overclocking. For me, with my 8GB DDR2-800 and my 4 phases mainboard, 3.72Ghz is the maximun reached without problems. Other people with other specs can add more 4Ghz or more.

For this computer in a crazy movement, I have bought a cheap Gigabyte Windforce 1060 3Gb graphics card, curiously I have the same graphics card with 6Gb in other computer and really I tested it in the xenon before I bought it 6 days ago.

Some people can think how the graphics card can make bottleneck with this CPU but really, they are very wrong. The graphics card run very good and this video shows how running my mod, it runs equal or better than my i5-4690k. Of course, the EAW Steam only uses a single core and the xenon has a good speed with singlethread in addition to the 12MB L2 cache. If I had have this xenon 3 years ago, I had not bought the i5 for sure. ;)

You can see a bench here. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12367245 and compare with my i5 https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12384610
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:45:00 AM by Nomada_Firefox »
I will not answer by private message, nothing which I can answer in the forum.
---------------------------------------------------
No respondere por mensaje privado nada que pueda responder en el foro.